Memorial Hospital at Gulfport celebrates National Donate Life Month
Posted Date: April 3, 2017
GULFPORT, Miss. — The Mississippi Organ Recovery Agency (MORA) will be on-site at Memorial Hospital at Gulfport on Wednesday, April 5, noon - 8 p.m. in the main atrium to register donors and to promote the importance of organ and tissue donation. Approximately 1,500 Mississippians need a life-saving transplant. More than 1,300 of those patients are waiting for a kidney transplant.
Organ and Tissue donation facts:
- Anyone can be a potential donor regardless of age, race, or medical history.
- All major religions support organ, tissue, and eye donation and see it as a final act of love and generosity towards others.
- In the United States, it is illegal to buy or sell organs and tissue for transplantation.
- 22 people die each day awaiting a life-saving transplant.
- A new person is put on the national waiting list every 10 minutes.
Please bring your driver’s license and stop by the booth to enroll in the Mississippi Donor Registry. For more information, call 896-5224. Donors may also register online at donatelifems.org.