If you or someone you know has signs of a heart attack or stroke
Call 911! Dial - Don't Drive!
Heart Attack Signs and Symptoms:
- Chest discomfort. Most heart attacks involve discomfort in the center of the chest that lasts more than a few minutes, or that goes away and comes back. It can feel like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain.
- Discomfort in other areas of the upper body. Symptoms can include pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
- Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.
- Other signs may include breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.
Symptoms Vary Between Men and Women
As with men, women's most common heart attack symptom is chest pain or discomfort. But women are somewhat more likely than men to experience some of the other common symptoms, particularly shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting, and back or jaw pain.
Stroke Signs and Symptoms:
Face Drooping – Does one side of the face droop or is it numb? Ask the person to smile. Is the person's smile uneven?
- Arm Weakness – Is one arm weak or numb? Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?
- Speech Difficulty – Is speech slurred? Is the person unable to speak or hard to understand? Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence, like "The sky is blue." Is the sentence repeated correctly?
- Time to call 9-1-1 – If someone shows any of these symptoms, even if the symptoms go away, call 9-1-1 and get the person to the hospital immediately. Check the time so you'll know when the first symptoms appeared.
Other signs and symptoms:
- Sudden NUMBNESS or weakness of face, arm, or leg, especially on one side of the body
- Sudden CONFUSION, trouble speaking or understanding speech
- Sudden TROUBLE SEEING in one or both eyes
- Sudden TROUBLE WALKING, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- Sudden SEVERE HEADACHE with no known cause
Learn more from the American Heart Association at heart.org.
MyHealthRecord is an easy and secure way for patients at Memorial Hospital and Memorial Physician Clinics to monitor their health and wellness online.
By establishing an account through our patient portal, you are now able to:
- Send a secure message to your healthcare provider
- View and download portions of your medical record
- Request an appointment
- See upcoming appointments
- View lab results
- View clinical visit summary and patient education
- See an active medication list
- Request a prescription renewal and have your renewed Rx sent to a pharmacy of choice
- See your allergies, immunizations, health issues and more
- Pay your bill online